Friday, April 4, 2008

Lesson 12: First time in the spotlight -- me, the keys, and my voice.

(Taken from my Xanga.)

Tonight was almost a cornerstone in my life.

After our exam, a bunch of my classmates decided to go out to Dick's Wings at Tinseltown. It was open mic night. I enjoy open mic nights just because I like seeing what kind of local talent there is out there. I had to go home first so Gail and I met up with my classmates later. When I got there, Megan greeted me at the door excitedly and said, "I signed you up!"

Oh ffffaaaack.

I went inside and she was a little too eager to show that my name was written on the list, ending with "pianist extraordinaire." Great. They're way too excited now-- I can't let them down. She only knew I was into music after I posted a song on Facebook. I've never formally sung AND played the piano for a live audience before. (If that's considered formal.)

I was pretty much the last performer (out of 5) so the place had almost completely cleared out by the time I was up, so it helped me a little with my nervousness. My friends were giving me encouraging words and saying things like, "Don't worry, you'll do awesome!" which is something we're not supposed to do in Communications class because it gives the other person false hopes. (What does my professor know anyway.) Michael -- I'm guessing the manager -- was very courteous and friendly and came up to me a few times asking what I'll be playing. I told him I was nervous, that "THEY signed me up," and I named a few songs I thought about playing. He asked me if I would feel more comfortable with someone playing drums and bass, and maybe they could adlib a few things to fit my performance. He didn't know how to play any songs I knew, so we both decided it would be best if it was just me and the piano (*GASP*).

I had to play a few notes to warm up, then I went to play my newly-learned song, "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles. I messed up once or twice and had to restart, mostly because the keyboard was out of tune. (I still don't understand how a KEYBOARD could be out of tune.) As I played, I warmed up a little to the keys and the mic and I found that it was a little easier to press things and sing things. My band of groupies stood in front of the piano, but I only saw their silhouettes because the spotlight was aimed directly at me.

The song was over before I knew it and I heard my classmates cheer. They wanted an encore and Megan suggested "that Michelle Williams" song, which I translated into "that Vanessa Carlton" song and it figures we were talking about the same thing... lol. My hands almost glided over the keys that time and my voice was a little more at ease.

The last song I played -- which they also encored for -- was, almost embarrassingly, "Part of Your World" from the Little Mermaid. Don't get me wrong, I love that song-- I just didn't know if it was what the people in the room wanted to hear. But eh, who else was listening anyway?

I would've played it brilliantly if it weren't for those kids and that dog. The damn keyboard tunage was annoying. I kept wondering if my voice was off key, so when I took a breath before the verse, I listened to the keyboard, and when I sung the verse in tune with the notes, it sounded like I was off b/c of a few keys, but I wasn't. I WASN'T, I tell you! It was the keyboard!

We'll see when the video gets back.

After it was all over, my classmates were congratulating me and individually told me how "awesome" I was, which made me feel really good to know that they thought that. My friend Adam was giving me hints that I should be in the band he's trying to get together this summer. I was flattered. Michael came up to me as I was leaving and he told me I did a great job. "Every Thursday night is open mic night, so you're more than welcome to come sign up again." Very nice guy.

Music for me will probably never be more than a hobby because I don't think I have enough talent to actually make it out in the music business, but that's not to say I can't have fun with it. Doing what I did tonight inspires me to try to be better at what I do and it taught me that I have more confidence than what my little mind thinks.

No comments: