Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lesson 10: Setting limits (not the best way)

Today I realized that there are two people I'm not scared of: my parents. Specifically though... my dad.

We got into a fight today and it got violent. It started when he "jokingly" insulted my boyfriend. His humor can be quite harsh, but sometimes he goes too far and someone has to let him know what the limits are. If I would have talked to him like a normal, rational person, and said something like, "Dad, don't say that stuff. It hurts," he wouldn't give a shit and he would continue to insult him in the future. The anger escalated quickly as we yelled at each other back and forth until he got up and shoved me against the wall. I wasn't scared at all. What could he do? Hurt me? Kill me? In the end, it would only leave him feeling incredibly guilty and sorry for what he did.

After the incident, I cried silently. Like I said, I wasn't scared-- I was crying because of the initial hurt he caused me by saying rude things about someone I cared for deeply. I hope that in the future, he knows not to go there anymore. I just wish sometimes my mom would set limits on some of the hurtful things he says to her when he's "joking."

No comments: