Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lesson 5: Working in pharmacy

I worked today for the first time in a few weeks. Here's what I learned:

(Irrelevant to you, so feel free to skip)

  • Don't lie to customers (or guests, as we say at Target).
  • There's a difference between regular naproxen and enteric-coated naproxen.
  • There is no generic for Plavix because it got taken off the market.
  • Read prescriptions more carefully (directions, refills, etc.).
  • Turn the magnet label sideways when we need to order more bottles.
  • Make sure to write down the formulation of the prescription if there might be a discrepancy.
  • If you need to find the new fax # for a prescription that was previously faxed to the wrong #, it's not necessary to look it up on the computer; just find the original prescription and handwrite it down. Duh.
  • Make sure you take a lunch break WITHIN 6 HOURS of the start of your shift or you will get sent to the principal's office.
  • Bring a hair clip.

These were mostly mistakes I had to learn from... all today. As small as these may seem, making sure that these things are all done correctly tweak the pharmacy's efficiency. I also wonder sometimes if my boss secretly thinks that I'm too incompetent to become a pharmacist. Honestly though, she's a hard one to keep up with. I feel prone to making mistakes while working with her as opposed to the other pharmacist. Hopefully I can teach myself to overcome that nervousness, or whatever that may be.

No comments: