Saturday, March 15, 2008

Lesson 7: Hidden musical treasure


Sorry for not blogging for the past two days because I know all you readers out there are so eager to read my entries.

Yesterday, I stumbled upon a new musical artist. Her name is Sara Bareilles, and she's a singer-songwriter who plays the ivory keys while soothing you with a slightly deeper, soulful set of pipes. Her hit single "Love Song" has been out since last year but I just recently heard it and fell in love with it. Her style is poppy, jazzy, and somewhat funky and I really dig it.

I love finding new artists out there I really enjoy, especially when they haven't quite made it mainstream. It's like finding treasure no one knew was there until you tell somebody and all of a sudden, you're realize you're rich. I discovered Marie Digby about two or three months ago and I don't think she's had a debut on MTV yet. I found her sitting in her solid #7 spot on YouTube's Most Subscribed Musicians and realized that she's got a real talent for not only playing the guitar and the piano and singing, but for writing songs that would appeal to the public ear.

It's amazing how powerful a tool YouTube is for aspiring musicians, film-makers, artists or anyone else in the world that wants to be heard. It's still about the public opinion though, so even if you make a ton of videos trying to get noticed, you may never be discovered by someone in the industry if no one likes watching your stuff.

No comments: